Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Insect God

Outside: Drear
Listening To: Queen. Love You Freddie <3
Reading: Beta H.P. Lovecraft The Complete Fiction, Hideous Kinky by Esther Freud
Breakfast: Gingerbread Muffin







So I had this plan that now that the kids were back in school and things would become "regular" again I would be able to time-box my tasks, become a pillar of uber-effectiveness... starting today. Then as I was going out the door this morning to take the Mert to the bus stop, this was peering at me through the front door:


A praying mantis. A few years ago I mail ordered a clutch of these guys to do some natural pest control in my garden. We've always seen ones of varying size since. This one was about five or six inches long. I went out side and took another picture...


The first thing that came to mind was a poem I absolutely love by Edward Gorey called "The Insect God." It'd been a long time since I read it--definitely not a ditty for the faint-hearted, but perhaps the morbidly curious... If you have the stomach to find out what happens to poor Millicent Frastley, click HERE.




My Gorey-ness sated, the next "layer" of this morning's encounter occurred to me. I'm a believer that the universe (or God, or however you'd like to see it) will give you signs when you need help or on the right track. I decided to look up the symbolic meaning of the Praying Mantis, and here's what I found at whats-your-sign.com:

"The mantis comes to us when we need peace, quiet and calm in our lives. Usually the mantis makes an appearance when we've flooded our lives with so much business, activity, or chaos that we can no longer hear the still small voice within us because of the external din we've created. After observing this creature for any length of time you can see why the symbolism of the praying mantis deals with stillness and patience. The mantis takes her time, and lives her life at her own silent pace."

How apt, considering the nature of the past several months--this post was going to be a continuation of the last one, "Blog Tour Part Deux" (for the record, it was an awesome blog tour). Then I had the notion to do a kind of "What I Did On My Summer Vaycay" post--'cause alot happened over the summer, good and dramatic. But when? WHEN?

Have you ever felt overwhelmed by the things you have to, need to, want to do? Many's the time when I've gone to bed at night only to lay awake wondering about the things I forgot to do--or didn't even know I had to do. This morning's visitor (leave it to me to be enlightened by a bug--or drive an hour and a half for ice cream--but that's another story) put things into perspective. And while I'm sure that the impending autumn will bring its manic moments, I'll remember (or try!) to breathe...

5 comments:

  1. Someone is definitely trying to tell you something :-)

    I'm frequently overwhelmed by stuff, but as I'm a terrible procrastinator, it's probably my own fault :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Procrastinating definitely adds to my overwhelmed-ness. In fact, I know I'm doing it right now, (I usually know when I'm doing it, which makes it all the more maddening). I'm thinking that it's just one of those "human condition" things... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, am always on the lookout for signs from the Universe. That was a poignant post, and sounds like a helpful website :)

    Katia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Update: found a ladybug on my sheets last night. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. A praying mantis, then a ladybug. That definitely beats the dead stinkbug I found on my bedroom floor. As for feeling overwhelmed, absolutely. So, I'm bound to see a praying mantis any day now, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete