Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Book A Day 'Til Halloween #16... Just in time to lose your head...

Guess where I'm going today?!



Ha! Bet you thought I was going to say the Wool Fest! Well, yes. Going there too--but this evening's activities are all about Ichabod. Have you ever been to Sleepy Hollow? Definitely a treat. The town hops at Halloween, but the quiet cemetery is always there to enjoy. Irving based his story on real people:

Behold the grave of Brom Bones (the tall one on the left)! And...
Catrina VanTassel! I believe the Hessian is also buried here.

The first time I went up there, I went with my coauthor Char and we ran into the caretaker... or local historian. We were never really quite sure what he was. You can't miss him. He kinda looks like Santa Claus and drives around in stuffed, beat up old station wagon. He showed us all the Legend graves, and pointed out a few other notables buried in the cemetery--like the guy who invented Listerine! 

So after Wool Fest we'll be heading south for an evening of  New York ghosts and pumpkins at The Great Halloween Blaze (you MUST see this if you are in eastern New York in October). I'll be wearing this for the occasion...


I got this lovely necklace on Etsy made by Kathy Barrick in her shop French Sentiments. She takes jewelry findings and bits and bobs and forgotten pieces of old French, sometimes French-ish trinkets and pendants and such and combines them into something wonderful. My headless horseman is pantinaed and hangs on an old watch chain--cool!

4 comments:

  1. That's a very cool bracelet. I hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! Thank you so much for the shout out!! I hope you enjoy your necklace as much as I enjoyed making it!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually knew a couple of the Van Tassel descendants when I was growing up. They were very proud of their ties to the Headless Horseman legend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah--had glorious day! Love being out and about when the leaves turn--and bought lots of yarn, more than I should have >:)

    Kathy--got loads of compliments on the necklace--been wearing it all month!

    Melissa--So cool!

    ReplyDelete