Monday, October 3, 2011

A Book A Day 'Til Halloween #3... CAUTION: Do Not Read In The Dark

EXACTLY four more weeks until Halloween! This is, without a doubt, my favourite ghost story...

THE WOMAN IN BLACK by Susan Hill

Seriously, do not read in the dark...
I first saw this as a play in London when I traveled there with students. There were only three actors, and one of them didn't speak--but I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that I had nightmares for months after, any time I thought about it. The book is even better. Technically it's more of a novella, but who cares? 

Can you imaging my surprise (and absolute thrill) when I found out that Hammer Films (yes--THAT Hammer films) is bringing this to the big screen? Another version was done back in the 80's, but this one, with Daniel Radcliffe all grown up (and without a trace of HP to be seen) looks gratifyingly macabre--but don't take my word for it:


How am I going to wait until February to see this?!?!?! Just gonna have to read the book again, I guess! Happy Haunting (and reading!)!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read the book yet, but the trailer seems satisfyingly creepy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't it? Hopefully they'll stay true to the spirit of the thing... Just saw that the UK release is February--what about here?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If by 'here' you mean the US, it'll probably be before the UK. My 'here' is the UK :-)

    ReplyDelete