Friday, October 7, 2011

A Book A Day 'Til Halloween #7... Gorey gorey gore...

How I loveth anything by Edward Gorey. One day I hope I shall own all of the little books that make up these anthologies...

And then there's "Too" (two), "Also" and Gorey Games.

I don't know what I love more, the comic-noir or the wicked little verses--some rhymed, some prosey--that go with them. And for you Teachers of English out there, the stories are a fab resource for teaching grammar and sentence structure, because they're not, you know, the usual fair. Can you diagram: "They lived nearby, inside a blue bottle, which made them an interesting violet color when they were at home." Or how about cutting up the the story into individual comic panels and having students put them in order to illustrate a story arc? :)

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit I've never read anything by Edward Gorey. I shall make it my mission to rectify that :-)

    ReplyDelete