Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Book A Day 'Til Halloween #1... and a Winner!

Fall is upon us--really this time. It's the temperature; today we finally dipped into the 60's, so I'm not sloshing through the humidity soup that's been the status quo for the past few days. Just like the turn of the weather, the swirl of falling leaves, and that scent--that unmistakeable scent--a kind of wood-burning, and apples, and baking and candy corn all rolled together, BOOKS bring me into the season. So in honor of Autumn and my favourite holiday, I'd like to take a look at some books that  make me feel like carving pumpkins and jumping  into a pile of leaves, one a day until Halloween :) Let's start with a blast from the past (for me, at least)...

MRS. BEGGS AND THE WIZARD by Mercer Mayer

A book from my childhood--love the fab 70's illustrations!
This is the book that started my fascination with all things mysterious, Victorian(ish), and occult. I always loved the images and muted colours of Mercer Mayer's illustrations. Alas my original copy was lost over the course of the last few decades, but it's happily available on Amazon--and now MINE (again!)!

And, drumroll... the winner of my Book Blogger Appreciation Week Drawing is:


Hand selected by the Mert (daughter) in a random drawing :) Congratulations, hope you love your prize and thank you, and all the bloggers who featured SIRENZ--we <3 YOU!!!

3 comments:

  1. That is a fun looking cover. I might need to look for that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a bunch on Amazon at the moment--I LOVED this book as a kid. Can't wait to get my hands on it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you were able to find a copy :)

    ReplyDelete