Thursday, December 1, 2011

Reflections on NaNoWriMo--and a Winner!

Goodbye, nebulous November 2011.

Ta-ta.

You certainly had your moments, but for the most part, I felt like I walked through you in a fog.

I'm going to focus specifically NaNo portion of the month... Let's start with saying that I totally cheated. And by the technical definitions of things, there will be no medal for me :(

Not the usual badge, but I like! Found HERE.

Every year I get myself worked up for NaNo, but then as November approaches, I get apprehensive, go into procrastination mode (NOT the best way to start a project)... WHY?

So over the summer I formulated an idea for a story that I got very excited about--and I'm still excited about it, which is a good sign. It was very strange, as after diddling around for a bit, the whole thing fell out of my head from beginning to end. Lets get this straight--the PLOT fell out of my head, not the whole book. I was able to visualize the characters and the story from beginning to end. You didn't actually think I FINISHED it, did you? *laughs* Anyway, I called it Reliquary, and started jotting scenes here and there. Checking the notebooks, it looks like I started around the end of May--so let's call it June. So from June through October, I managed to outline the entire story and write 50 pages. Oh my God am I slow.

And after much soul searching, I am proud to say, that's me. :)

Molasses.

Black Treacle.

It's how I roll, or rather, pour out of the can.

I often wish (especially around NaNo time) that I could just--BLAM!--WRITE. Write write write write write. But brainy refuses to work that way. I make notes and paste pictures and then I write some. Then more notes. Then write write write--oooo on a roll! Write... and then I have to do something else. Anything else. I've pushed myself a couple of times to keep going, but then it's like my thoughts get all jumbled. I have to stop.

Then here comes November, and I'm like, I am SO gonna FINISH Reliquary by the end of the month. A week in, and it's more like, Yeah. finishing. Two weeks and I swear that I will finish AT LEAST half. Three weeks: Gonna do as much as I can. Sigh.

At the end of the day (and still transcribing--I write almost everything out by hand first) I'm at nearly 30K which for me is a BIG, HUGE, MEGA wOoT-WoOt WIN. Somehow I managed to discipline myself to write almost every day--and each day that went by made the next a little easier--thank you NaNo :).

So Reliquary will be completed in my usual jerk-stop motion of play-write-work-go insane-knitsomething-write-cookie... With a big piece of luck (and some peppermint bark!), I will have a complete draft by the end of the year, and then I can move on to my favorite part of the writing process--REVISIONS! For the record: Natty HATES the initial write, LOVES revisions <3

Now. Going forward. It's December--my favorite month (actually, it's kind of in a tie with October), and what better way to welcome it with a winner? The lucky recipient of a signed and nar-booked copy of Victoria Schwab's The Near Witch is....

!!!RONYKA7!!!

Congrats, dahlink! I am putting the finishing touches on a little traveling companion for Witchy, and it will go out to you ASAP! Another giveaway is going on RIGHT NOW one post down--you DO want to win a SIGNED copy of Brian Selznick's The Invention of Hugo Cabret, don't you? Acquired at the lovely Books of Wonder shop in New York. I'm going to *try* to get to the cinema this weekend. Need popcorn. Stat.

2 comments:

  1. I won I won thank you very much. I all ready send you an email with mi address. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! coNGRATUALTIONS! I got it--and will be sending it out by the weekend :) <3

    ReplyDelete