Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Christmas Tree--getting real ♥

For the past several years, Whitey here, has been our stalwart, seasonal Yule-Christmas-Holiday tree. We do it all in the Zaman house. This year, however, I wanted to give him a break and get a real tree. There's a reason that of all the senses, smell is the most successful in bringing a written scene to life. I miss the smell of December evergreen in the house--and sorry-not-sorry, scented soaps and candles are just not the same (Though in my desperation, many a purchase has been made. MANY a purchase.).

But I was over-ruled--Whitey stayed. He doesn't have to be watered. There are no needles to clean up. Angry Alice (our beloved cat) doesn't like to climb him--all very cogent arguments as to why we shouldn't keep it real. It's not that I don't love Whitey--many a merry moment has been spent under his perfect plastic branches. And then there's that evenly spaced lighting...
Not the full impact of Whitey, but you see what I mean...
Real vs. Fake. It's been something that's been on my mind quite a bit lately, and I was quite contemplative in November. I've been thinking about how engineered so much of our experiences are today, how manufactured. What we're supposed to buy, supposed to believe, supposed to behave. The "right" way to do things... 

But, I LOVE fake. I really do. That's why I bought Whitey in the first place. There's no mistaking he's fake. Besides the built in lighting, if you look really close, you'll see there are several species of pine that make up his branches--and some of the needles are holographic to catch the light better. I've also wanted a black tree--and wouldn't it be cool to hang it upside down from the ceiling like a chandelier? How about silver? Pink?
From UK Home Ideas

Other fake things I like--fake nails (on occasion--my own are thin pathetic stubs), tromp l'oile--and dyed hair. This year, tired of the maintenance, I let my hair grow out. I'm quite grey. No, make that VERY grey. I don't care really. In a few short weeks I'll be 43. Grey is hereditary in my family. But I have to say, I don't much care for it anymore. So tomorrow when I get my hair done, I'm dying it again--totally fake--and I love it. LOVE. IT.

But back to reality. I still wanted a real tree--and I got one. Ole Whitey is up in the living room, but for my little Advent project, I found this guy at ShopRite. He was $19.99 plus tax:

Ooo! I can smell it from here! (Really!)
And on him, I'm going to put our affirmations for December and beyond. Why ever not? Good thoughts make the best ornaments, and I can finally do something with all that Origami paper I had to have. So what do you think? Real? Fake? A little of column A, a little of column B?

Make your own reality!

1 comment:

  1. I'm all for real, but this year, we did the fake. As long as we have a tree!

    ReplyDelete