Sunday, January 6, 2013

Be king for a day with a Galette de Rois ♥

When looking for a way to bring people together, there's nothing like a dessert that requires audience participation. Good times are practically guaranteed...
Behold the King Cake, Twelfth Night tradition for centuries past and present!
MAKE YOUR OWN: I got my cake charms--feves--at French It Up Vintage on Etsy and the lovely Fleur des Lys paper crowns from Dresden Paper Crafts on eBay. I used Jennifer Patterson's (of The Two Fat Ladies) recipe, Galette des Rois aux Amandes. However, in a nod to my favorite sweet shop and hang out in Montreal, Juliette et Chocolat, I added a thin layer of dark chocolate on top of the almond filling before covering it with the second layer of pastry. Le sigh... ♥

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, yum! The Portuguese style king's cake is boring dry fruit cake, but this sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely cake, totally worth trying. I would really like to find a fruitcake to love... I think it would require something that would have more cake than fruit, and only certain kinds of fruit...

      Delete