Today is Benjamin Franklin's birthday. If he was alive today... What Would Ben Do? (Besides be 306 years old ;) ?)
|Nothing like Ben in purple...|
Good thing he wrote it down. Behold, Ben's 13 Virtues...
- Temperance: Eat not to dullness. Drink not to elevation.
- Silence: Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself. Avoid trifling conversation.
- Order: Let all things have their places. Let each part of your business have its time.
- Resolution: Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve.
- Frugality: Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.
- Industry: Lose no time. Be always employed in something useful. Cut off all unnecessary actions.
- Sincerity: Use no hurtful deceit. Think innocently and justly; if you speak, speak accordingly.
- Justice: Wrong none by doing injuries or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
- Moderation: Avoid extremes. Forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
- Cleanliness: Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, clothes or habitation.
- Tranquility: Be not disturbed at trifles or at accidents common or unavoidable.
- Chastity: Rarely use venery but for health or offspring--never to dullness, weakness or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
- Imitate Jesus and Socrates.
Let no pleasure tempt thee, no profit allure thee, no ambition corrupt thee, no example sway thee, to do anything which thou knowst to be evil; so shalt thou always live jollily, for a good conscience is a continual Christmas. Adieu.
Live jollily (LOVE that word!)!