Thursday, April 3, 2014

BLONDE OPS April A to Z Challenge! C is for...


...CAP'N CRUNCH BO'SUN WHISTLE! For getting phreaky*...

*"Phreaking is a slang term coined to describe the activity of a culture of people who study, experiment with, or explore telecommunication systems, such as equipment and systems connected to public telephone networks. As telephone networks have become computerized, phreaking has become closely linked with computer hacking."

During the month of April I am participating in the April A to Z Challenge! Every day this month (except for Sundays) I'll be sharing an alphabetically-friendly tidbit from mine and Charlotte Bennardo's BLONDE OPS, out May 6, 2014 from Thomas Dunne Books/Griffin Teen!

CLICK HERE to visit some of the other bloggers participating in this fun challenge.


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Weird, right? Bec talks about how it was used in the book ;)

      Delete
  2. FYI -- You may want to turn captcha off for A-to-Z. It makes it easier for people to comment.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! I had no idea it was on--just fixed--thanks dahlink! ♥

      Delete
  3. I don't remember ever seeing one of those whistles!

    That's a new to me word!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's from the 70's... have a look at this: http://www.complex.com/city-guide/2013/05/greatest-cereal-prizes-of-all-time/capn-crunch-bosun-whistle

      Delete
  4. I miss the days when prizes came in cereal. My child is missing out and doesn't even know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! I know, right?! But you're talking to the chick who bought Burger King kids meals for months to collect all of the LOTR characters...

      Delete
  5. mmmm Cap'n Crunch. Interesting post for today.

    A to Z commenter
    From the Reading at Dawn blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn! It was a challenge to choose what to use for each letter but at the same time not give too much away! Thanks for stopping by! ♥

      Delete
  6. My husband always tells the story about the Cap'n Crunch whistle and how it was the first instance of "hacking" a communications system! As for the captcha thing, I'd say 75% of the A to Z blogs I've visited have it on. I was hoping it might lead to a blogging revolution. Captchas have gotten so complicated, I can't even read them half the time! It feels like a really cruel game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a cool story! I had NO idea that captcha was on... I cant tell you how many times Ive messed them up!

      Delete