Double Take! Blonde Ops Cover Love ♥

So in a few interviews, Char and I have mentioned that the Blonde Ops cover you see online and in shops is NOT the first cover. Besides the writing, editorial and revision work, a good deal of artistic effort is essential to creating a book package, and while I guess you should "never judge a book by its cover," it's hard not to. Many's the book I've been drawn to because I liked what I saw on the outside! I asked our cover designer Ervin Serrano a bit about what went into the creation of the Blonde Ops cover:

What kind of info do you get when you design a book cover (Do you have to read the whole thing?!) I usually read a couple of chapters to get a feel for the book, and the editors help to provide a good summary of the story as well. 
The cover everyone knows and loves...
How did you decide what you were going to do for Blonde Ops? Tell us about your process and how it all came together. Blonde Ops was set around Rome and world of fashion. I thought it would be great to convey that somehow on the cover, and what better way to show it than girl in a pretty dress and vespa! I had done a couple of earlier versions, but everybody loved the cover we have now. 
...and the one that got bumped!
What is one of your favorite covers that you designed? That someone else designed?--and what do you like about each? There are so many talented designers out there that have done wonderful work. Right of the top of my head, I would say The Yiddish Policeman’s Union, Doctor Sleep, and Z. I thought it was really great on how uniquely the type was done. 

So, which Blonde Ops cover do you like better?

Check out more of Ervin's work HERE--and watch the WICKED book trailer for REVENGE (a collaborative effort with Henry Sene Yee). Prepare to be creeped out (and ready to run out and get a copy of the book!)...