Thursday, January 7, 2016

Silver Streak... In which I get slightly badass ;)

Hey, have you seen my new author photo? Have a look...


It was actually a toss up between the above, and this one (huge thanks to Amy Blackthorn for taking such awesome shots!):


One of my goals for this year is to make my blog a bit more focused and useful--I figured it might be a good idea to make my posts about magical travel adventures to tie into the book that is coming out later this year (!!!!!)--but magical adventures can happen anywhere, and sometimes they can start with words. Let's backtrack a bit.

I started going grey in my 20's and the silver started pouring out of my head thick and fast in my 30's. It's hereditary--I never knew my mom without white (or dyed) hair. A couple of years ago, I decided to grow it out. Check it:

Silver me (center) with faboo Leanna Renee Hieber (Left) and Cate Hart (right) at RT.
Another silver shot--me and the incomparable Franny Billingsley. Love the sparkle clips and pearls ♥
I loved this look, but inevitably I get bored (Sagittarius) and went on to experiment with color (purple) and extensions... but here I am again, a silver sister, and here's where things get interesting. So in the course of my glamorous life as an author-witch-mom, I run into someone I haven't seen in a while at the grocery store. After we get through the, "Hey, how are yous?" THIS: "Is that your NATURAL color?! Wow! It is REALLY attractive (tone of disbelief)! You are SO BRAVE. I WISH I could do that." This isn't a first. I've also gotten, "But you're TOO YOUNG to be grey!" (I just turned 46--some call it young, some call it old. I call it 46.)

Screw your beauty standards. (The standards, NOT the person, I love the person. What I don't like is this mindset folks get into--as if grey--or anything else can't be pretty.).

I am not brave.

This is me.

My natural grey is REALLY attractive. It sparkles in the sunlight. What you see in my author photos is me growing out my last dye job. One more cut, and I'll be free again. And freedom is f****** awesome--and GORGEOUS. It took me a long time to say stuff like this without shame. I like confidence--and I'm growing it with the compost of my old fears and doubts.

Thinking of going silver? Here are my top 5 reasons to give it a try:

MY HAIR IS SO SOFT. No dyes or chemical treatments have left my hair softer, shinier and healthier than it's  been in a long time. That bit about the sparkle? It's for reals.

I CAN TAKE HOT SHOWERS--LONG HOT SHOWERS. Not that I couldn't take blissfully long soaks before, but water and everything that goes with it is kryptonite to hair dye. I've done pricey salon and at home color and either way, worse than roots is the fade that comes with washing, especially in hot water. And it's winter now--I LIVE FOR MY HOT SHOWERS!

MOOLA. I spent alot (ALOT) of cash on dye maintenance, especially with short hair. I had to touch up every 4-6 weeks. Where will I go with the money I'm savin'?

IT'S A MARVELOUS COLOR. Silver is the color of mystery and the moon. Silver is magic. Silver is quick. Folks try to replicate silver hair with dye (it's cute, but not the same as au natural). It's so marvelous that you might find yourself to be the source of INSPIRATION and EMPOWERMENT. Yes, there are folks that tell me I'm brave (I'm not). And then there are folks that say, "I saw your silver... and now I'm silver too." Magic.

MY SILVER HAIR IS BABY UNICORN HAIR. I love the colorful Unicorn Hair look (especially with the sparkle), But. Real unicorns are white--and before white comes silver. Just wait 'till I break out the glitter, b*tches! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment