Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The ATC Spring Mysteries Festival 2016 #dedication

This representation of Demeter has lived with us since we moved
into this house. I love this medieval representation of her. She and
her wheat sheaves have watched over us for nearly 20 years. Now I
will honor her at the Spring Mysteries Festival. ♥
7 more weeks until the Spring Mysteries... and it's getting real. I started making lists of stuff to bring, including offerings to leave at the various shrines I'll be visiting. While I wanted to make sure I bring something for each one there were a couple of deities who called out for something more, who seemed to have a particular interest in my attendance. 

How did I come to this conclusion? Really, it's just a feeling. When I read over the stories, looked at pictures of past festivals and images of ancient art, Demeter and Hermes seem to have taken a shine to my journey.

I chatted with the Festival's Spiritual Director, Dusty Dionne about dedication as part of spiritual preparation. In dedicating my journey to a specific deity, I'll invoke his or her blessing and protection on my travels--and in return, I pledge to honor those aspects of divinity embodied in these incarnations: motherhood, hearth and home, travel and communication.  

As a mother goddess, Demeter understands my anxiety about leaving my family behind and its comforting to know that this aspect of the Divine Feminine will be in my home watching over things when I'm not there. She's always lived in my house, watching us come and go. She will see me off, when I depart at last, and welcome me home when I get back. Ruling communication and travel, Hermes will be at my side, watching over me. I know he'll be with me as I roam the festival grounds and maybe ease my stress about getting tongue tied when I talk to folks. I'm hoping he'll help me keep my hoof out of my mouth--but he can be a trixster, Hermes. Even if I flub conversations, he'll be there to help me pick myself up and dust myself off.

To whom will you dedicate your pilgrimage? Which deities call out to you as you prepare for your journey?

♥ #SMFPilgrim ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment